It seems like only the other day I was beginning my placement at Nationwide. It’s gone so quickly but been an amazing experience! Looking back over my placement so far here’s some of the main lessons I’ve learnt:
- Step outside your comfort zone– Everyone has to do things that they don’t feel comfortable with, but by pushing your boundaries and stepping outside your comfort zone you give yourself the opportunity to grow and progress. Eventually you become comfortable doing the things that you didn’t before!
- Be ambitious – Set yourself goals. It can be easy to overlook development, so setting yourself realistic goals helps you to keep focused, push yourself and have an aim to work towards.
- Be self-aware– Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses, and there’s always going to be areas which you can improve on. By being aware and knowing your weaknesses as well as your strengths you can make the most of what you’re good at and work on areas which you’re not.
- Be flexible and open– There’s always going to be things thrown your way which you don’t expect, but being flexible and adjusting to change can be really important. Being open to different tasks can give you the chance to learn new things and in the long run can mean that more opportunities come your way.
- Be positive– Having a positive attitude and being enthusiastic goes a long way not only in helping you achieve your goals but also in the impression others have of you.
- Be friendly and approachable– Being friendly and approachable not only helps you build relationships but also means you have more people willing to help and work with you.
- Be honest– It’s always best to be realistic and honest about what you can do and how you feel.